Buying a pid controller in uk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a pid controller in uk

hi guys, anyone know where to buy a decent pid controller, iv had 2 ink-birds and they have both blown up on me.
    Last edited by Mitchellp6183; 03-07-2018, 05:58 PM.

Although the these are made in the US, I prefer Watlow branded PID's... where to get them? Used off eBay seems to work for me.

Generally I think you can find Watlow Distributors all over by web searches... I am not sure about the UK side of things though. The current stuff I'd buy (if buying new) would be the EZ series stuff they sell... you can order them with the features you want already programmed into them and set up for your purposes if you get a good rep to work with.
    EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply, red lion look like a good brand, we have also got a site called red components, there pids go up to £300

Comment

In your case, the place to look for info on "the best" units, would be in a fast food joint that uses PID's to operate things like their Fryer set up. The most common stuff here would be Watlow, Honeywell and a couple other name brands. but ones used in industrial settings are usually pretty good quality stuff, since they can't afford to have units down for long at all.

Comment

Scottrods would putting a 1amp fuse before my pid controller protect it as seen people putting fuses before the pid’s. What does putting a 1amp fuse do, what wattage will the fuse let through before blowing?

Comment

Always a question that hasn't been answered huh?... The Fuse should be rated to the PID's specs. Some require or suggest/recommend the 1 amp fuse... some may actually suggest a smaller fuse (amperage wise)... I use no fuse before mine. Just call me a risk taker... LOL. I know the Watlow Manual shows a fuse on the power input to the PID, but there is no specified amperage rating given. I suppose it could have a lot to do with whether you use SSR's or Contactor relays for your switching of the burners or load. In my case it would probably be a 1 amp fuse, in some cases it could be more, considering the loads imposed by the PID and it's outputs to relays or SSR's. I now my situation is likely to burn ups PID before anything terrible happens. So I also have spare controllers at hand in that case too. The fuse is always protection in any circuit. If you feel like you're unsure of the benefits and want to cover your butt, I recommend you use at least the 1 amp fuse in line to the PID. It could save a lot of money in the long run.

Comment

Thanks for all the help scottrod, the main reason I was asking about the 1amp is because mine blew last time. I had a plug with 13 amp fuse with a cable with live, neutral and earth. 240 volt coming from the mains I connected it to the live on the pid, it says it doesn’t matter what way the live and neutral go on the live input. Turned it on a bang, lol

Comment

Sounds like maybe the PID was no good to begin with then... Im a fan of known name brands on these PID's. The most common budget ones are now AUBER INC. units. AS Far as quality, I'd still say follow the advice above and go see what the local fast food places are using on their fryers...probably gonna see another name I've never heard of since your European... No tellin' what will be found. Even in EuroLand there maybe some Honeywell items or maybe even Watlow... never know till you check it out. Some will be labeled, some won't usually most PID's will have a model number on the front. Like "93 series) or another plain number like "9854" or something. Once you get some kind of identifying look, you can look them up online and see what is similar. Make sure you take your phone or a camera to take pics to allow you something to compare to.

Comment

Hi there
                  I'm in the UK and binned Inkbird PID and I followed a colleague in Wales and I'm running the Emko ESM-7720 and it works a treat 😀
                  It's also branded under the RS Components brand
                  hope that helps

Comment

Working...
                  X