Looking for oven help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for oven help...

I have a 2x3x6 foot steel cabinet I will be converting into my oven. I also just bought 2 heating elements that are both rated at 3410 watts at 240v. When I use the BTU calculator for my oven size, it says.... You will need 10,560 BTU/hour or 3,094 watt. Does this mean I will only need one of these elements for my oven or should I use them both?

Use them both... you won't hate yourself and the elements being "too much" will help heat up quicker and recover after opening the door to load and unload items. I often say "You can never have too much overkill".
    Somehow I don't think that will actually be too much, as I had a slightly larger oven using 2 2850 elements... it was barely adequate.

The material thickness of the cabinet will play into how fast it heats up as well as the insulation properties you work out. The BTU calculators also have provision for "ambient" or temp rise expected or desired... those play a huge role as well...
    EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
      Use them both... you won't hate yourself and the elements being "too much" will help heat up quicker and recover after opening the door to load and unload items. I often say "You can never have too much overkill".
      Somehow I don't think that will actually be too much, as I had a slightly larger oven using 2 2850 elements... it was barely adequate.

The material thickness of the cabinet will play into how fast it heats up as well as the insulation properties you work out. The BTU calculators also have provision for "ambient" or temp rise expected or desired... those play a huge role as well...
      Thank you for the advice... Question... Should I use 2 SSR's or will one do just fine with 2 elements? I have tried to read on this for the past 3 weeks. Google, Youtube, forums... and to be honest, I'm on the edge of being completely lost. I'm not looking to make this a business, just tinkering around with my personal and friends. I appreciate all advise possible. I know there are people who just join and try to get all info for free without doing any kind of research and I assure you, I am not one. I just for some reason, am not grasping this fully. I have looked at just about every video there is on youtube and checked out every diagram in google. There seems to not be a definitive "this is the way it should be wired". If anyone could maybe point me in the right direction even, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Un4givon View Post

Thank you for the advice... Question... Should I use 2 SSR's or will one do just fine with 2 elements? I have tried to read on this for the past 3 weeks. Google, Youtube, forums... and to be honest, I'm on the edge of being completely lost. I'm not looking to make this a business, just tinkering around with my personal and friends. I appreciate all advise possible. I know there are people who just join and try to get all info for free without doing any kind of research and I assure you, I am not one. I just for some reason, am not grasping this fully. I have looked at just about every video there is on youtube and checked out every diagram in google. There seems to not be a definitive "this is the way it should be wired". If anyone could maybe point me in the right direction even, that would be great.
        I like to use one SSR per Burner. It's not necessarily a right or wrong in the system, but I find it much easier to tell whether I have a bad one or a broken element or another issue, if I run one element per SSR.

Electricity isn't for everyone, I assure you, I understand well... but here's the thing - there truly is not ONE definitive wiring schematic. What you have to do is decide how simple or complex you want it to be and choose what features you MUST have, and those things will help you work out a system diagram. It's pretty simple once you realize all you're doing is turning a switch on and off with a device that reads temps and decides when to turn them on and off for desired temperature control. If you look up PID definition it makes it all muddy with tech terminology and all, but its really that simple. If you want more things to turn on/off by automated means, then the wiring gets more complicated. I recommend simple fo the first time around for sure, but I also recommend you get someone who can help you work this out, or maybe even work it out for you. It makes things safer for you in the long run to do what you know, and let the electrical guy do what he knows...An appliance tech would be pretty handy in what you're shooting for I think. Somebody who works on McDonalds Fryers and such... I guess that would indicate industrial stuff too. but a few minutes and they can do the magic part and you pay them once and done... makes more sense than beating yourself up over it and starting to hate Powder Coating...
        EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

I have decided to just go ahead and build from scratch. My girls cabinet that she was going to let me use is just too damn nice. I appreciate your assistance SCOTTRODS. I am in the process of purchasing all the material for the oven build, then will work on the wiring and control box. I have decided to go with a 4x4x6 oven, only due to i have friends who are wanting things done already. I stated above that I currently have 2 elements at right around 3400 watts each (so they claim). Anyone have a unit this size and how many of these elements should be sufficient? As for the feature that I MUST have, I just need the basics. This is going to be a home use oven which will not be unattended. I don't need any buzzers or alarms. I'm not going with a fan just yet. I've ready where some people have them and others do not, and their ovens work just fine without one. I was also wondering if there is a place people go to get a prefabbed control box, already built?

Comment

I’m actually in the middle of an oven build right now close to your dimensions. I just joined the forum today but have been a long time reader. I plan to start a thread tonight detailing my build up to this point.

Comment

Working...
            X