need help finding halo switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help finding halo switch

I cant seem to find a 22mm Halo switch That uses dc12v for led and ac240v for the switch that would light up when pressed. The ones i have found are 6 pin but i cant wire it where the led is on and the switch is on at the same time. The led is only rated up to 12 volts and i can either wire it on all the time or on when pressed but it causes the the 240v switch to be off. This is the switch i am using now. https://www.amazon.com/WerFamily-Lat...3D1P97MQWCA9WM
    Any suggestions for a good switch? Thanks

That switch should do what you want, as long as you have a 240 source in the cabinet. Wire in a wall wart 12 volt supply off of the 240 (one leg only- makes 120v) and use that voltage to light the switch. On the Q/A section, one guys says you need a different type of switch indicating this one is momentary, but the diagram shows that it is a latching on/off switch. It will do fine if you use the last diagram on the ad page to wire up the LED part, and use the 240 (middle set) to switch 240... but I don't think I'd want to pull much through it as it's rated at 5amps, which is very low. If you're using it just to turn on the PID which should draw very little, it will be fine Shouldn't;t pull more than 4 amps at that rated capacity.

Otherwise, there is a need for more inf on what your full wiring set is to determine if it can be done another way. Most PID's can use very small voltages, and some even use AC/DC either one... Personally I'd shoot for switch I could turn on, and a light to indicate power is applied. Both separate units, so I can troubleshoot accordingly in the future. Lights are much cheaper usually than a switch, but having the switch lit is not a terribly difficult approach. Just not how I would do things.

Fancy stuff usually just complicates things when something quits working, and makes it more difficult to fix. Especially if you're having a problem with this, It's likely troubles will be tough for you when things break. Try not to take that wrong, but this switch is pretty simple init's scope... and it is my only indicator of your prowess with electrical stuff...
    EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

For what im wanting to do the switch wont work. I have a 12v transformer running the led but in order to turn the light on with the switch you have to wire the led through the N/O leg which in turn the N/C leg will not switch the the other voltage. I am needing a 2 N/O switch or 1 that the led is same voltage as what im wanting to switch. I can use a 110v switch as it is just for the pid and timer. The 1 I bought just happened to be rated at 240v. sorry for the confusion. I just found some at auber instruments but would like a little cheaper source.
      Last edited by littlejohn44; 07-27-2019, 09:23 PM.

Comment

It says plainly on their ad that IF the power source is more than 12V DC, The switch and LED must be separated. Indicating that it will do what you want. I don't have the switch in hand and cannot test the contacts, but it certainly "sounds" like what you want is completely doable. In that bottom set of diagrams, the way to wire is the top left version. That should make the LED completely separate, using your Transformer to step down to 12 VDC, and the "unused" contacts in that picture will be used for your higher voltage switch. That's how it appears. It *is* Chinese and I have had issues with understanding their terrible diagrams before, but this falls right in line with many switches I have wired in the past, on small machines.
        EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

I agree that the explanation and wiring examples are very poor, but one thing is certain. The switch only has one set of input voltage terminals so I don't see how it's possible to input both AC and DC voltages to that single switch. Another relay is going to be required! The simplest solution I believe would be to input 12VDC to the switch which would allow the led to function, then wire in another relay to the NO/NC contacts with a 12VDC input to control your AC voltage. Or do the reverse and input AC to the halo switch and use a step down transformer/rectifier to power the halo led.

Or it might be easier to just find a lighted AC voltage switch.

Comment

Working...
          X