3.5x3.5x6.5 oven build help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5x3.5x6.5 oven build help!

Hey all new to building an oven and all the reading I've done seems to have overwhelmed my mind. I plan to make an oven 3.5 x 3.5 x 6.5 so I can do some quite large items finally. Can any one that's Canadian or someone who is good with this stuff help me with my shopping list?

Much much appreciated

(I say Canadian because American products may be hard to find in Canada as affordable as the us)

All I can tell you is bare necessity... parts needed but not by name or brand or where to find them - but here's the basics.

Of course Sheet metal.
    Screws (I don't recommend all rivets, but some to assemble some sub assemblies wouldn't hurt probably... just want to be able to serve your oven without drilling out rivets). I also recommend getting more than you calculate as well...
    Insulation, I recommend rockwool/mineral wool or similar. You can go with Pink spun fiberglass insulation with no backing if you just cn;t find anything else, but the yellow oven type insulation is a better idea... again if you don't like the price on the mineral wool style insulation... your call.
    A Good quality PID such as Watlow or Honeywell or another NAME brand if you have the funds... any brand will likely do, but support is easier to find for the name brand items.
    Heating elements to give you enough heat plus about 30 percent or more above the minimum needed. It's OK to have more than "just enough" and truly is recommended simply for recovery times on heating the oven back up after opening, and basic start up times in your "morning".
    I would recommend installing a small window that you can OPEN and stick your arm in to the close temp of parts inside oven. otherwise you will be letting all your heat out checking temps... causing more recovery time required... win some/lose some... bigger oven gonna cost more to operate... There is special glass for oven doors... buy some from an appliance salvage yard or something... toaster oven size would be fine as it doesn't need to be really large... just enough too get and arm in for reading temp.
    Studs or some other form of reasonable metal frame material to build the basic frae with, remembering all things are not created equal, and the door will be heavy so the hingeside of the door frame needs to be extra sturdy to allow for it...
    High temp wire for the elements and some high temp connectors to connect them. You can transition to regular wire outside the box, if you run all wires on the outside... otherwise I recommend you prepare yourself for the cost of high temp throughout... and keep in mind, it's. different type of wire and will be smaller in diameter if I remember right... but. it is high temp rated... the connectors are VERY important as well... get the right ones for the wire and don;t buy a one size fits all kind of connector... the connector needs to be right to perform right.
    Wheels... if you think you may want to roll it around or move it out from a wall to work without heating up the wall... no wheels required but cleaning under the oven is much easier with wheels on it. a million ways to do wheels on stuff... If you do put wheels on it (Or even if you don't) I'd recommend building a cart to roll into the oven so you can coat then move without handling the parts individually... if you don't you will hate this process... Put the cart on a trolley with wheels on it so it can move around freely out side the oven and sit at the right heigh to match the floor of the oven's height.
    I'm not. fan of timers and buzzers and a bunch of other zero use stuff... maybe a good light inside the oven would be useful... I never had one. but they have purpose for viewing flow of the powder at least... if you have a window (mentioned above)

I'm sure this is not a solid "everything you need" list, but it's a darn good start since you didn't list what al you were shooting for... it has some ideas to help with thoughts in the build. If you have never had a large oven, then these are basics and good ideas... without wasting money on trivial add-ons that you can easily work out with a cel phone and/or a kitchen timer.
    EMAIL scottrodspc@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
    X