Element Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Element Location

I'm looking for some advice on where to locate the heating elements in my 2' x 3' x 4' oven.

I see a lot of them built in the walls vertically and I was going to have them installed vertical, but isn't putting them on the floor a better design for heat distribution over the parts?

Here is my current design:

The dark blue box on top will be a blower and the purple channels will carry the hot air back down.
    The orange are the elements.
    The yellow is just 12 gauge steel.

Is there any reason I shouldn't put them on the floor? I can cut some sheet metal to cover them for protection if that's a concern.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-12_10h36_56.png
Views:	219
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	144229

IMO placement can be most anywhere near the bottom. The only drawback to floor placement is if you intend to incorporate a roll-in rack. Even in that case you can accommodate a roll-in rack by design. Since you have a recirculating air system designed into your oven makes placement even less of an issue. You might want to add a radiant heat shield made of aluminum or similar with a series of 1" holes to fit over the elements.

Comment

Originally posted by ed_denu View Post
      IMO placement can be most anywhere near the bottom. The only drawback to floor placement is if you intend to incorporate a roll-in rack. Even in that case you can accommodate a roll-in rack by design. Since you have a recirculating air system designed into your oven makes placement even less of an issue. You might want to add a radiant heat shield made of aluminum or similar with a series of 1" holes to fit over the elements.
      Ok Ed, this brings me to another question, Why do you suggest the elements be near the bottom. We were planning to put 3 elements on each side and stack them. My thought was that them being stacked would heat the oven more evenly and faster.

Comment

Heat rises and you show a re-circulation fan to even out temps so near bottom usually works best. It's also a good idea regardless of element location to place some partial shields(aluminum sheet with lot's of holes work well) over the elements to keep direct radiant heat from over cooking your parts. But imo element location can be placed most anywhere if you shield for radiant heat and recirculate air throughout the oven.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply Ed. We're planning on cutting in the element stacks this weekend so your answer on the element placement and why is a huge help.

Carlene

Comment

Working...
          X