question about contactor/ ssr ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about contactor/ ssr ?

Hi guys, I've been told to use a 40 amp contactor with my oven build and I'm not sure how it connects to the ssr? Now I know that A1 is "power in" and neutral is A2 (top of contactor) and at the bottom of the contactor "power out" is T1 and T2 is "neutral out" but not sure where to get the "trigger in" for the ssr is ? I'm running a 240 system 8,800watts total.

L1 is line in and T1 is load out.
    NO is normally open contact.
    Unless required do not switch neutral.
    Best to test for continuity while holding the contractor down.

Comment

New at this
      Before I get started with my mix I’d like to know if anyone has used rainwater in replace of Distilled water.
      How critical is this and what are the alternatives to producing distilled water
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan View Post
        L1 is line in and T1 is load out.
        NO is normally open contact.
        Unless required do not switch neutral.
        Best to test for continuity while holding the contractor down.
        which input from the ssr turns on the contactor?

Comment

I can’t make judgement on something I can’t see.
          But A1 and A2 will pull your contactor to a closed position from turning your switch. Your load which I presume is SSR? run through either L1 or L2 or L3. There should be a wiring diagram on the side of contactor

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan View Post
            I can’t make judgement on something I can’t see.
            But A1 and A2 will pull your contactor to a closed position from turning your switch. Your load which I presume is SSR? run through either L1 or L2 or L3. There should be a wiring diagram on the side of contactor
            no diagram but i will check the website, cheers.
            Last edited by Nick Demopoulos; 10-06-2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Why are you looking to use both an contactor and ssr? Typically you would use one or the other. Most contactors switch both hot legs of a single phase electrical service while most ssr's only switch one. With a 240v service powering the elements the neutral, if present in the system is not used to energize the elements and would never be connected to the ssr or contactor. The switching voltage driving the relay is controlled by the pid.

Comment

Originally posted by ed_denu View Post
                Why are you looking to use both an contactor and ssr? Typically you would use one or the other. Most contactors switch both hot legs of a single phase electrical service while most ssr's only switch one. With a 240v service powering the elements the neutral, if present in the system is not used to energize the elements and would never be connected to the ssr or contactor. The switching voltage driving the relay is controlled by the pid.
                Hi Ed, your right you don't need both, I had a vh pid but was worried about the ssr quality so decided to use the ssr to turn on the contactor. But since this I have ordered the right pid which will use the contactor only. Ovens up and running now and takes about 30 minutes to get to 200c. Alarms working but cant seem to get the reset button working on the inkbird timer idt-e2rh. Not sure if you know this unit?

Comment

Hi guys. I must say this is a very informative forum. I found it when I was looking for polishing supplies then when I was looking for oven builds, wha-la, Caswell came up again. I've been reading thread after thread in prep'ing for our oven build.

I'm composing a list of questions I have but then saw this posted. My question is, Which is better, Contactor or SSR.

I've been reading and it appears that most on this forum use SSR. I found another site and the guy said that Contactors are better because if the SSR fails it could take out other components?

I don't recall what thread (or year posted) on here, but one of the guys said that the Contactors have a hard start on power drain, even causing lights to flicker?

I don't know if the oven size matters in this decision but it is is 8' t x 42" w x 37" d and will have 6 inset elements.

Thanks for your help and I'll be posting my own thread, hopefully this weekend to give more info and a lot more questions.
                  Last edited by Carlene; 10-15-2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Nick, I have no experience with the inkbird pids. I have more experience with Watlow controllers and to a lesser extent the Auber's. The minimal documentation on the inkbird I found does not clearly show how the reset function is wired.

This is just a guess and you probably have tried this, but have you tried to put a momentary switch between terminals 2 & 3. Pressing it should reset the pid?
                    Last edited by ed_denu; 10-16-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Nick, I have no experience with the inkbird pids. I have more experience with Watlow controllers and to a lesser extent the Auber's. The minimal documentation on the inkbird I found does not clearly show how the reset function is wired.

This is just a guess and you probably have tried this, but have you tried to put a momentary switch between terminals 2 & 3. Pressing it should reset the pid?
                      Its the inkbirb timer that I was referring about, I did work it out in the end. The momentary switch needed to be a (no) not a (nc) got it working with the right switch Next thing now will be replacing the blower fan with a dayton one as the china cheap cr#p one doesn't move enough air.
                      Last edited by Nick Demopoulos; 10-17-2020, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X