Powder coating oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coating oven build

I have been researching oven builds for a while now and have started my build. My oven interior dimensions are 30" w x 32" d x 60" h. I'm not using the normal metal studs for the structure. I'm using 3/16 angle iron for the main frame and 16 ga for panel supports. The reason is to reduce heat transfer from the interior to the exterior. The interior panels are 16 ga and the exterior will be 20 ga. I have 2" mineral wool for the insulation.
    I am using 4 1500 watt elements with a circulating fan ducted from the top to inside on the back wall to the bottom where the elements are going to be located.
    I have built the control panel and started on the base. I have all the interior panels cut to size.
    My big question is the temperature sensor. I purchased a clamp on sensor for testing when I get it built but was wondering if there is a preferred sensor and installation method. I have the pid controller for contactors from auberins.
    Thanks for any input.
    Please share any concerns you may see in my plans.
    Jay
    Last edited by JayP; 02-13-2021, 07:18 AM.

Most ovens are using a K type thermocouple for temperature feedback to the pid. If you want to use both, a K and a clamp-on then install an inline switch that allows you to alternate between either. That's what I did on mine and it didn't affect temperature readings. You might also include a small opening in the door to allow use of a IR gun to monitor part temperatures.

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into that style thermocouple. I forgot to mention that I will be installing a glass door in the door. I have an IR gun. I am planning on hanging some 1/4" squares at various locations and heights and take temperature readings to check for hot or cold spots and make changes as needed.
      Jay

Comment

This is the control panel I have built. I used 2 30 amp disconnect enclosures. The right side has the 2 - 240 volt contactors controlled by the pid and the left side has a 120 volt coil controlled by a switch or timer to control the 240 volt power to the pid.The controls will be mounted on top of the oven with a spacer to avoid any heat transfer.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0264.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	144821
        Thanks for looking,
        Jay

Comment

I have the duct made that is going to circulate the air from the top down the back wall to the elements. I started the top by cutting the intake and the exhaust and installing the fan and top duct. Next will be to make the light housings.
          The base will probably be next. Im trying to get the more difficult parts built first. Then assemble the walls.

Name:	KIMG0294.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	144846
          Thanks for looking.
          Jay

Comment

​​​​​Although slow I have made some progress. The light baffles are made. Now to trim them up a little and weld the box mounting plates. Here is a picture of the mock up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG0299.JPG Views:	15 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	144865
            Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG0300.JPG Views:	13 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	144864
            Last edited by JayP; 04-06-2021, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Deleted double post.

Last edited by JayP; 04-06-2021, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Light bezels are trimmed and welded and wiring boxes are mounted. The base is built and casters are installed. The pan for the heating elements is built.
                Now I need to make some mounting brackets for the pan and the heating elements.

Name:	KIMG0305.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	144877

Name:	KIMG0307.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	144878
                Thanks for looking.

Comment

16 ga 2x2 angle frame to mount the element pan on.

Name:	KIMG0314.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	144886 I was going to cut some sheet metal to add to the brackets for the heating elements but came up with the idea to cut some pipe instead.

Name:	KIMG0317.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	144887
                  Sorry for the slow progress. I don't have as much shop time as I'd like and I don't move as fast as I once did.
                  Jay

Comment

Working...
                  X