Temp Controller Help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Controller Help!!

I am still undecided on what PID controller to choose. I have a 240 V supply and the oven I am building will have 2 x approx 3000W elements. I have searched on ebay and found out these links. I needed to find these from Europe so as to have them shipped to Malta.

Any advice on the below:

4 IN 1 PID KIT Digital Temperature Control, 40A SSR, Heat Sink, K Thermocouple | eBay

PT100 Thermocouple Sensor Digital PID F/C SSR Thermostat Temperature Controller | eBay

TA7-SRR AC/DC Digital PID Temperature Controller +25A SSR +K Thermocouple Sensor | eBay

Cheers Guys

Re: Temp Controller Help!!

Two 3k watt elements are going to exceed the capacity of the 2nd and 3rd choices you list as they are only 25A ssr's. I'm not familiar with the Rex controller in the first option, but it does come with a heat sink so everything you need looks to be supplied. The 40A ssr would be sufficient for your elements.

Comment

I have read some reviews on the REX controller and they weren't so encouraging

What do you think of the EUROTHERM 3216 TEMP CONTROLLER. It seems better than the REX. It does not come with a kit but hopefully I can assemble it. Correct me if I am wrong but do I need just a 40 Amp SSR with heat sink and a Thermocouple as the one in the previous link.

Comment

The Eurotherm is miles better than a cheap Asian Rex controller. While I have no first hand experience with them they do look to come configured many ways, similiar to the Watlows. If you go with the Eurotherm make sure you get one configured correctly for your needs. Look closely at the input voltage requirement and for an ssr you need option 'L' for Output1.

A 40A ssr and appropriate heatsink is fine for your needs. Look for a 'K' type TC.

Comment

I might need some help to determine those specifications I have attached a wiring setup for anyone that can help me!

http://www.eurotherm.net.au/control/.../3216_wire.gif

I have found out that in oven builts contactors might be used instead of an SSRs. What is the difference and advantages?

Comment

The wiring diagram isn't what you need to look at initially. You need to look closely at the complete serial number of the pid as I mentioned above. The serial number gives you the internal configuration of the pid and tells you what it will support. Contactors are electromechanical relays that generally have a life expectancy of a couple hundred thousand cycles. They are not meant to switch rapidly so if used in a pc oven control system the pid parameters must be changed to switch no more than every 5-20 seconds. SSR's are solid state relays that have life expectancies in the millions of cycles and can switch multiple times per second.

Comment

Hi I have a Eurotherm 3208, I was drawn to it by the ammout of technical set-up info on youtube. It's still in a box of other stuff I've been collecting for my build over the last few months....In a couple of weeks I will have finished my exams for the year and free to have a play and get on with building my control box.... I'll post it on here as a project....

I have a Rex that I bought on impulse without reading up, and though I have no news on it, I still plan to use it as a simple thermostat for a Hydrographics tank I plan to build ay some point in the distant future so one day I hope to have some idea how to programme it

Comment

Thanks for your help. I am still confused about the PID controller since I still do not know if it can be used for the pc oven!

Apart from the PID what do I need to connect 2 elements of 2000W each?

1 40 Amp SSR + heat sink and a thermcouple type K?

Originally posted by ed_denu View Post
                The wiring diagram isn't what you need to look at initially. You need to look closely at the complete serial number of the pid as I mentioned above. The serial number gives you the internal configuration of the pid and tells you what it will support. Contactors are electromechanical relays that generally have a life expectancy of a couple hundred thousand cycles. They are not meant to switch rapidly so if used in a pc oven control system the pid parameters must be changed to switch no more than every 5-20 seconds. SSR's are solid state relays that have life expectancies in the millions of cycles and can switch multiple times per second.

Comment

Originally posted by gor_agi View Post
                  Thanks for your help. I am still confused about the PID controller since I still do not know if it can be used for the pc oven!

Apart from the PID what do I need to connect 2 elements of 2000W each?

1 40 Amp SSR + heat sink and a thermcouple type K?Yes
                  see comment in red

Comment

What about the oven bulb? Hot to connect that?

Comment

What's the question? Do you need a light, if so go to any big box store and get a porcelain fixture and appliance bulb.

Leviton Porcelain Keyless Lamp Holder-R50-09875-000 at The Home Depot

Comment

Are there any bulbs that can withstand heat that are over 40 W? and can be connected to a 230 V Supply? Since all the oven bulbs I could find are 40 W max? Please consider that I am from Euorpe since in the US there might be different types of bulb. Thanks

Comment

biggest I could find was 25w ... if you need more than 40w consider 2 fittings

Comment

Were is the best place to fix the light fitting? On top or on the back wall?

Comment

Originally posted by gor_agi View Post
                              Were is the best place to fix the light fitting? On top or on the back wall?
                              I wouldn't suggest either of those places. My light is on the upper left wall toward the very front. That way if you open the door or window to get a view of the parts, the light is shining on them. A light on the rear wall would serve no purpose imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X