Just wanted to say thanks...and ask some advice on element location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to say thanks...and ask some advice on element location

Hows it going guys. Well, long story short, I was running a small powder coat shop with my buddy and he ended up wanting out. Knowing I wanted to continue the business and buy everything, he sold all the equipment and left me out in the cold. Anyways I decided I wanted to keep doing it so I procured the same location and have been recouping. Ive been building an oven with the help of this forum which Im really grateful for. The knowledge on here is priceless and cant thank Caswell and you guys enough, thanks guys!

Now here's my question. The oven Im building has interior dimensions of roughly 77" high by 40" wide by 44" deep. I will be utilizing 3 2800w elements and a Dayton high temp blower to circulate the air and was planning on doing an element on each side wall and one on the back wall, but have been wondering what you guys thought. Here's a couple pics for reference. Thanks again guys! Any advice and info is appreciated!

Here's a pic of when we first mocked up the walls, I bought all the material from a local guy who was going to build the oven but lost interest. It consists of 16 gauge studs, and 22 gauge sheet metal and Roxul R15 insulation. I don't know why he didn't get galvanized but all the metal is being Ospho'd and painted with high temp paint, black on the outside and white on the inside(so I can see better when the parts cookin') From left to right is my grandfather who was a career roofer and sheet metal craftsman, my dad who's a safety systems tech for the county and my self just a hooligan who likes cutting up cars and trucks and setting them on the ground haha.

Heres just one idea that came up, my reasoning being all the elements will be in the middle and in the path of the air and this would allow for the wiring to exit in one location instead of three thus using less materials. But this is my first rodeo so I figured Id ask yall. the element closest to the door would have a junction box with a elbow fitting going down in the floor to run the high temp wire back to the rear box and up and out of the oven.(Of course Im going to finish painting the interior, just wanted to get some paint on the Ospho'd metal.)

One more question, I see some guys run covers or guards over their elements, is this just a personal preference or what? Is there any where that makes stuff to re-purpose as them or just gotta fab some up if I have to use them? Thanks again guys!
    Follow Me and my shop on Instagram! @Gorillafied_dsfb & @Gorilla_Werx

Re: Just wanted to say thanks...and ask some advice on element location

It looks to me like you have a very good plan and I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing. Obviously you are looking to use a roll in cart so having the elements mounted on the floor wouldn't be a problem. As for shields, they would protect from radiant heat if a pert were too close to an element. I made some from aluminum sheet with lots of holes punched into them. If you go with a solid guard you would most likely overheat the elements(I know this first hand).

As stated I think your plan looks very good. My only concern might be the paint on the interior and if at some point it would begin to flake. Best of luck with getting the shop back in business and stay around with more pics of the progress.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. I too am iffy about the paint on the inside, I used the highest temp I could find so we'll see. Ok completely understand about the radiant heat. Ill probably end up making an "L shaped one that I can just screw in and will make sure to punch or cut a lot of holes in it for "breathing" purposes.

Ed gotta send some more appreciation your way, I am using your "Control box" thread and diagram to build mine and it has been beyond helpful. Ill be using a Watlow 93 and a Sestos digital timer with each element on a 25a ssr.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaWerx View Post
        Ed gotta send some more appreciation your way, I am using your "Control box" thread and diagram to build mine and it has been beyond helpful. Ill be using a Watlow 93 and a Sestos digital timer with each element on a 25a ssr.
        I think you'll like this setup and I'm glad it's been helpful. If you come up with any questions just ask and I'll try to help.

Comment

Will do, thanks again!

Comment

Still here guys! Oven construction has slowed a little due to small jobs coming in. Hopr to wrap up some boat parts tonight after work and gey a little work done on the big hot box. Is there a thread of posting completed work?

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaWerx View Post
              Still here guys! Oven construction has slowed a little due to small jobs coming in. Hopr to wrap up some boat parts tonight after work and gey a little work done on the big hot box. Is there a thread of posting completed work?
              There isn't a specific thread for completed work. Most people just continue posting pic's, etc right here.

Comment

Ok cool, been real busy at the shop. Jobs coming in have slowed build progress but its going. Ed do you think itd be possible to email me the control box file? Idk if its the program Im using to view it or what but I cant get it to come out clear.

Comment

Sure, it's a pdf file. PM me your email and I'll send it right out.

Comment

Good job guys, I hope your shop is prospering, even in these COVID-19 conditions. A lot of businesses just closed because of this pandemic situation and it's really sad. Another business that survived this collapse just went online, selling, and delivering. It's cool that we have this option. I think that the best platform for that is social media, there you can find a lot of active people that will want to buy anything. From all social networks, I think that Instagram is the most important in this industry. However, it's not so easy to get followers to start it can take a year or maybe more to get enough followers. In this case, I can suggest you this platform where you can buy real Instagram followers. Hope I helped you, good luck.
                    Last edited by JoanHodges; 11-02-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X