Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PID controller wiring diagram, will this work OK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PID controller wiring diagram, will this work OK?

Here is my design for hotbox controller and the PID diagram

Click image for larger version

Name:	hotbox diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	132066

Name:	9900-M-19-05-14[1].jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	132067

Re: PID controller wiring diagram, will this work OK?

It's pretty hard to read the controller page, but everything looks fine in your drawing. If you add a simple on/off switch between the pid terminal 8 and the ssr you can adjust the pid parameters without the ssr energizing the heater.

Comment

wired it up and it all works, temperature rises really slowly tho, takes forever to get up to specified temp?

Comment

what is the Inside dimension of the oven ,what is your specified temp.and what kind of insulation you have ?
        http://www.peintureenpoudrepb.com
        http://www.polissagepb.com
        http://www.powdercoatpb.com
        baz

Comment

Just for testing purposes I have put the heater and thermocouple into a plastic storage box with a lid on, no insulation. I set the controller to 50 degrees C, ambient temp is about 10 C. I can see the ssr flicking on the heater for about a second every 10 seconds or so?

Comment

sorry but i can t be of any help with that kind of a set up.
            http://www.peintureenpoudrepb.com
            http://www.polissagepb.com
            http://www.powdercoatpb.com
            baz

Comment

As baz replied if you want help you need to supply more information on your setup. What are your oven dimensions and how many elements(wattage) are you using.

If setup correctly the pid should keep the ssr energized until the set temp is approached. Only then should it begin to cycle on/off.

Comment

the final dimensions will be 120cm x 50cm x 50cm, i only have it set up in a box to see if the pid is doing what it should, i.e. energizing the ssr until the set temp is approached.
                at the moment this is not the case so something is wrong? the set up of the pid controller I suspect! it's a Omega CN76000 PID and the instructions are quite hard to follow especially for someone not familiar with using these set ups.

Comment

Originally posted by bonobo View Post
                  the final dimensions will be 120cm x 50cm x 50cm, i only have it set up in a box to see if the pid is doing what it should, i.e. energizing the ssr until the set temp is approached. at the moment this is not the case so something is wrong? the set up of the pid controller I suspect! it's a Omega CN76000 PID and the instructions are quite hard to follow especially for someone not familiar with using these set ups.

You will need to supply more specific details if you're looking for help. The model you list is the generic model number. The specific model number should be something like CN76020, CN76030, etc. Then list what pid terminals you are using for wiring or update your drawing in the first post to show the correct pid and connection points. Lastly list the dip switch setting you have and any parameter settings you have made. The Omega is a good unit and is similar to most other pid controllers.
                  Last edited by ed_denu; 12-19-2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

OK i think i've got the wiring wrong, firstly it's an Omega CN76020

Name:	pid wiring 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	129087

i'm not sure if output A (numbers 7 and 8 ) should go to the input of the SSR? and if so, what connects to the high voltage side of the SSR.?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by bonobo; 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bonobo View Post
                      OK i think i've got the wiring wrong, firstly it's an Omega CN76020

i'm not sure if output A (numbers 7 and 8 ) should go to the input of the SSR? and if so, Yes, It appears that #8 is the Plus side and 7 the -. what connects to the high voltage side of the SSR.?The output side of the ssr drives the element as shown in the wiring drawing you show in your first post. One side of the ssr output gets connected to the power source and the other side goes to one connection on the element.
                      see comments in red

Comment

Name:	hotbox diagram3.jpg
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	129092

this is how i have it wired with the Omega CN76020

Name:	pid wiring 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	129093

this is the wiring diagram for the controller
                        Last edited by bonobo; 01-01-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X