building a oven"need a little help"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BURNER SIZE

FOR THE BURNER I AM USING A 3/4 INCH ELECTRICAL CONDUIT AND PLACING THE HOLES FOR THE BURNER FLAME ON TOP OF THE TUBE AND THE JUST A PIECE OF SHEEET METAL ABOUT 10 INCHES OVER THE TOP OF THE FLAME TO DIFFUSE THE HEAT. WE STARTER WITH THE HOLES FAIRLY SMALL AND SPACED APART JUST ENOUGH SO THAT THE FLAME WOULD LITE ACROSS THE ENTIRE BURNER. THEN WE MADE MORE HOLES AND ENLARGED THEM UNTILL WE CAME UP WITH THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF HEAT FOR OUR ROOM. THE WHOLE TRICK HERE IS TO USE THE CONTROLS OUT OF A GAS RANGE SO IT MAINTANS THE TEMP YOU WANT. THE BURNER IS REALLY THE EASY PART. JUST COPY THE ONE YOU HAVE TAKEN FROM THE GAS RANGE YOU WILL BE USING AND LENGHTEN IT OR COPY IT TO BEST SUIT YOUR NEEDS. I WOULD GUESS A BURNER OUT OF A RANGE WOULD HAVE KNOW PROBLEM HEATING A 5FT BY 5FT BY 5FT OVEN. WE FOUND GAS TO BE A LOT MORE FREINDLY TO WORK WITH THAN ELECTRIC. BUT EITHER WAY VERY EASY.
    Thier are only two real sports!
    boxing and auto racing
    all the rest are just games.

Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

What size holes did you drill in the pipe? and how far apart are the holes drilled one from another? I am definitely going to build my oven to use gas $$$$ its got to be alot cheaper than electric. Have you figured out how the to maintain the constant temp yet? Or is that still being figured out?

Comment

Blademan and 11111111 I would really like to see some pics, could you please post some??

Thanks in advance,
        Kris

Comment

temp

maintaing the temp is not the problem. we just wanted to get the room to temp very fast for preheating. the thermostat controls from the oven we used maintains the temp, the size of the burner is what determins how fast it will heat up.
          Thier are only two real sports!
          boxing and auto racing
          all the rest are just games.

Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

there is a thred on here that someone found a website on how to build a NICE oven. Infact I have been talking to the guy the past day asking questions. He knows what he is talking about... Very helpfull guy... Ya should check him out..
            I Plead the Fifth!

Comment

Door seal

Could somebody tell me what "rope seal" is ? How do I fasten it to the door and where can I get some? With my sloppy welding and poor engineering skills, my door needs some "adjustment". This a great site!
              I am very happy with PC!
              Dave Johnson

Comment

rope seal

Try a store that carries fireplace stuff. You can use fireplace rope seal cement to apply it to your oven. I use a small metal channel to place the rope seal into, it was welded to the door.

Comment

I just got into PC since the facility that I now work at does quite a bit and I'm rebuilding a '67 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40.

Anyhow, we produce these tubular burners all day long for just about every gas appliance manufacturer. Give me some specifics as to what would be ideal and I'll see what we have.
                  Brog

www.burnersystems.com

Comment

rope seal

Originally posted by Brog
                    I just got into PC since the facility that I now work at does quite a bit and I'm rebuilding a '67 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40.

Anyhow, we produce these tubular burners all day long for just about every gas appliance manufacturer. Give me some specifics as to what would be ideal and I'll see what we have.
                    Brog

www.burnersystems.com
                    I need about 60 feet of 1/4 inch rope seal and some cement to apply it to the metal door. I found a fireplace store that can order it but I'm always looking for different vendors for stuff. Thanks for your reply! Dave Johnson.
                    Dave Johnson

Comment

I found this link in an older post and thought it looked like a pretty good plan.
                      http://www.powdercoatoven.4t.com/

Comment

I found my rope seal at McMaster-Carr. They have many sizes and types. Thanks for the replys.
                        Dave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                        X