Need to Buy/Make an Oven on a Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Buy/Make an Oven on a Budget

Hello, I just got into the powdercoating scene. I currently have a lousy toaster oven that will only bake small parts. I need to make an oven thats about 3ft all around. Can I have some suggestions on how to make an oven with a $300 budget? Thanks!

Re: Need to Buy/Make an Oven on a Budget

Try calling you local appliance stores. I'll bet many of them will have a good old electic oven out back as a trade in. Probably cost you $20
    --
    Mike Caswell
    Caswell Inc
    http://www.caswellplating.com
    Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

About the cheapest way is to get a hold of an old home that has been thrown out or replaced. It's not a three foot cube but a lot bigger than a toaster oven. If it's still not big enough, there is a big thread on making one from cement board and you could use the internals from the home oven. IE: heating element, switch,temp probe Pretty much put the electric part in a bigger box.
      SS

Comment

Now if i decide to use the cement board all i have to do is make the frame out of the metal 2x4's then cover it with cement board on the inside and out or the inside only?

Comment

You just need the cement board on the inside. You could put fireplace insulation on it and tin the outside. SS

Comment

Thanks! anyone else got any other ideas?

Comment

SSWEE has understood.

The cement board will hold the heat, the outside instulation will keep the heat within the cement board, letting it radiate back into the box. The sheet metal outside will simply protect the insulation.
              --
              Mike Caswell
              Caswell Inc
              http://www.caswellplating.com
              Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

After I make the oven out of cement board, do i have to cover the insulation on the outside or no?

Comment

You don't have to but the oven will be less efficient not to mention a hazard of getting burned. If you are going to the trouble of building an oven, there is not any reason to only go half way. 0 to 20$ for a stove, 50 to 100$ for metal studs, cement board and some seam seal, 50 to 75$ for insulation, sheet metal and pop rivets, 0$ for a little time and TLC. You should have money left from your 300$ budget for some more powder from Caswell. An IR thermometer is useful. Let us know how it goes. SS

Comment

Thanks! The cement board in Home Depot has some kind of cloth-like mesh in it. Do you think this can light up?

Comment

It shouldn't. Materials like that need something to hold them together. Kind of like the paper on sheetrock but it's internal. Was it in a 3 x 5 sheet and how much was it? SS

Comment

I havent gone yet. It should be more than $10.

Comment

i found an old tank thats 3' dia by 5' long that was free for the takin, next was an old donor furnas for the burners, control valve and manifold. I just scored a source for free metal stock for the tank stand and rack. so far im into it for about $15 for the cutting wheels.
                          I'll try and post pics soon
                          If it jams; Force it. And if it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

I can go from 0 to "What seems to be the problem Officer?" in 3 seconds."

Comment

Working...
                          X