Oven, just thinking out loud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven, just thinking out loud

I am getting back into powder coating and i am thinking of building an oven using a reddy heater, propane, and was wondering to keep the temp at a set level, to use an exhust with a motorized damper hooked to a partlow process controler. i have a controler that will open and close a valve at a temp set point. is it possable to control the damper with the thermocouple and controler. has anyone tryed this? like i said i'm just thinking out loud.
    Thanks for any help
    Joe

Re: Oven, just thinking out loud

Open Flame and Powder Coating, They do not mix. A few years ago a buddy of mine used a open flame for powder coating well the air moving around teh parts that where coated I guess caused some of the powder to come off the part and become air borne, what happened nexted was the scarest thing. The oven if I remember correctly was 4X4X6 when the Big Bang finished the oven was about 6X6X5. Yes the side blew out and thank god No one was standing on the sides or front.
    I do have images of the oven I am looking for them, when I do locate them I will post. Using the Ready Heater to pre-heat WITH NO PARTS in the oven is ok but use Electric to cure with... Be safe..

Jim S...
    Last edited by hvac36; 10-20-2005, 09:52 AM.
    Jim Shuster
    www.backyardpowdercoating.com Sold.....
    www.chrissys68mustang.com Hobbie
    www.photogserver.net Web Hosting.

Comment

If you look around you'll find that gas ovens use a multi chamber and seperate heater box and exchanger. Dust fires are extremely dangerous and very explosive. Pound for pound they are more than twice as explosive as dynamite. Put that kind of power into a semi-sealed box and you have a disaster waiting to happen. Personally I would not even consider building my own gas oven.

Comment

I should have been more detailed. I am going to have the reddy heater in a type of burnner box. there will be no open flame in the oven itself. i did powder coating for 20 years and i know how the ovens are built. there will be ducting inside the oven so it gets good cross air flow. i am just wondering if my controler will work on the exhust side to control the heat.
        Thanks
        Joe

Comment

So the oven had a direct flame into the same space as the part?... yikes... no deflector? thats nutz....
          If it jams; Force it. And if it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

I can go from 0 to "What seems to be the problem Officer?" in 3 seconds."

Comment

Working...
          X