New Oven...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Oven...

Here are some pics of my new oven, 75% of the mechanical is done, I have to finish the tray for the heating elements and the door frame. Wiring is next.
    The tank is 3' in Dia and 5' long and was free. This is my low-buck project, I have even found a supply of free steel that i used for the frame. So far I am into this project for $22, and that was for the wheels and hardware. I will be using 3 heating elements and GE controls. Would like to hear any comments.
    Attached Files
    If it jams; Force it. And if it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

I can go from 0 to "What seems to be the problem Officer?" in 3 seconds."

Re: New Oven...

Looks good! I would make sure to clean ALL the rust out of the inside of the drum. When it heats up and expands the rust will flake off and end up in your parts.

Comment

You should have seen the rust i have already cleaned out..LOL.. it already has a date at the sandblasters to get all squeeky clean...LOL

Comment

hey kz if you powder it inside, then on the first run up of heat it will kill 2 birds so to speak.
        when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
        G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I wonder what the heat losses will be? How about laying some thin expanded metal over the drum, then trowelling fire cement over it? Perhaps you could then wrap some fiberglass insulation around it?
          I'd guess that 50% of your heat will dissipate through the drum unless you do something to contain it.

Just a thought!
          --
          Mike Caswell
          Caswell Inc
          http://www.caswellplating.com
          Need Support? Visit our online support section at http://support.caswellplating.com

Comment

Definitely need some insulation. There are plenty of sources out there for fiberglass insulation that can handle the higher temps. We picked some up to insulate the top of our oven and the vent on the top... We then covered the vent with a foil jacket, works really well. Keeps the heat in extremely well.
            Are you planning on adding a vent and a circulation fan?

Comment

What are vents for? Kind of a dumb question but thought this was a good time to ask. I'm getting ready to build something.

This is interesting. I'm going to be doing bike frames, something like this might work well, I could stand it vertically and hang the frames from the top.

Steve
              Steve Dold
              http://stevedold.com

Comment

To get rid of the smoke and other nasties.

Comment

Caswell...I have found a good source for insulation from McMaster-Carr that will go up to 1000deg. Check the PDF i attached.
                  Popeye...
                  I havent decided on a vent or fan yet... do you have one in yours?
                  Im looking at the heat 'flow' kinda like a round webber grill.. the way it does its own 'convection' air circulation, I'm considering a small vent at the bottom for fresh air to get the air moving in the tank..

Comment

Cool, that was an idea i had, i would have gone ahead with it, if a week before i thought of it, we gave all the drums we had to a demo place.

Comment

Jim, When you look at the insulation you might want to look at mineral wool. I used it in my oven and have run it up to 900f for about 15 mins and it worked great. When I bought my insulation it came in 24"X48" sheets, but the company I bought it from asked if I wanted it in a 4'X8' blanket. I believe you could get it as thick as 6". I used 3" thick 9lb rigid mineral wool. I know fiberglass will work but after researching the thermal properties of both I think in your particular case it might be best to use mineral wool. The extra heavy walls of your tank/oven will retain more heat for an extended period of time. Because mineral wool is so much more dense than fibeglass is it will outlast fiber and will retain heat much better. I also found that mineral wool isn't too much more costly than fiber glass. The price difference when I bought mine, for the same amount of thermal protection was only $7.00. BTW the high temp limit of the insulation I used is 1400f for no more than 2hrs, and it's fire resistant. I figured it might be worth a look for you as well.

Comment

bzer1.. Thanks for the info.. i'll check it out. i want tp insulate as best as i can.. no sense trying to heat the whole state...LOL

Comment

bzer do you have a brand name to start us off with? i am planning a oven rebuild/extension on my big oven and need to reinsulate it complete.
                          when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
                          G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

I bought it from a company here in Jersey. They sell all kinds of industrial insulation. http://www.mcneilusa.com/. They were very helpful when I called them. I would suggest that you might want to poke around in your local area because I was told that they would only deliver locally. I found them by googling rock wool or mineral wool.

Comment

KZjim,
                              Our commercial oven (inside) is 51"h x 37"d x 25"w, it is 30amp 220v 6.5KW element which equals about 22,200 btuh. You really don't need much in the way of a circulation fan. Our has about a 5" diameter blade running about 750 rpm. If you mount a fan (and you should) make sure to get a second smaller blade. Something around 2" or so.. Mount it on motor shaft outside of the oven, it will act like a heat sling and keep the motor from frying. Holes in the bottom is a good idea Ours has about 15 1.5" diameter holes in the bottom under the element and a vent on the top. McMaster Carr is where we got our insulation.....
                              Probably more than you wanted to know
                              Last edited by Popeye; 11-03-2005, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X