Worked in food equipment for 15 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worked in food equipment for 15 years

Second post.. just found this place sorry.. REALLY interested in PC'ing some parts on any one of my current three projects

31' Chevy TUB hotrod - 86' Fiero convertible and a little toy project a 1980 Yamaha SR250 that I got for free last summer..

Found out about PC after having the chrome rims on the Yamaha (done very cheaply and with great results i might add) and a local place for something like $30 and was amazed how durable it is..

Rims just back from PC

NEW scratch built frame ready for some engine mounts to be made..

Now I'm reading these forums and WANT an oven for my own garage too!

Since I was in foodservice for 15 years things like elements and thermostats are not a hard thing to find and neither is the wiring schematics since I have repaired bakery ovens the same amount of years..

HOW should I get started is a good question..

Rob in NH
    DIY Groups Powder-Coating - Metal-Casting - Metal-Chipping - Metal-Polishing - Fiberglas - CNC Tables - GOT LINKS?

Re: Worked in food equipment for 15 years

well rob search this and the powder coating board for ovens and there are quite a few people that have posted designs and material lists for the home built ovens they have made. this will give you a good basis for your oven design. since you have the electric background it should be very simple to get the right design for your need. just remember to go bigger than you think you need is true in most cases, since people will plan for a mid size oven box and just when its done they need to go bigger. a good rule of thumb is have more than one if possible. i have 3 of varying sizes so i am not wasting alot of power for small parts, and dont have to wait for long heat up on big parts. hope this helps out a little bro, also welcome to the forum and best of luck.
    when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
    G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

The way I did was to get a hobby gun from Caswell and a home oven donated from a guy at a furniture store. I haven't been doing the powder long and have wanted/needed a larger oven already. It can go from a little money to a wad to choke a horse. If your doing fab work, you probably have a compressor and a blast cabinet is super useful. You'll just need to figure what size of parts you want to do as for oven size and how deep your wallet is on whether you'll start with a Hobby gun or go straight to a Pro unit. Like Pickle said, if you have the room different size ovens have their place. When I go to a bigger oven, I'll still keep the home unit for doing the small items. SS

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts.., Considering small at first to learn then bigger as things move along like the Choppers frame after I get GOOD at it.., Did I read correct that a toaster over can do small parts somewhere or was I seeing things??

PS: That little Choppers frame like I said is going to be a black-wrinkle PC, The whole "theme" of it is the Red Barons airplane (Fokker DR1) So there is only a few basic colors used.. red, white, black but with a little hammered and wrinkle black tossed in for the old machinery look.. also a tan leather seat, machine-gun exhaust like the original Fokker DR1 had (Spandau guns) and I also maintain an ammo site, So empty bullets in a chain reaching over from an ammo can on one side to a fake steel shaped gun body was the idea.. let me find the original drawing of that one.. hold on..

Drawing of a Spandau gun..

PS'd overlay of what the single gun looking exhaust would look like..

Not seen like I said it what would be an ammo-can on the other side.. fake bullets, But mostly for storage was the idea..

Last was to make the fenders from scratch doing a wire-formed shape that would replicate the rippled wings on the airplane itself.., The tank is the FUN part! same rippled edges, sharp points and all PC'd in RED to match the fenders..

Check out this page, It shows you a mouse-over of my corroded wheel-hubs before and after being blasted and PC'd..

http://www.ammoman.com/chopper/HubUpdate.htm

and I'm not pushing it, but I also designed a sandblaster that just plain kicks (_!_) called a PABlaster.., thus the site..

http://www.PABlaster.com

Rob
        Last edited by BerkelUSA; 11-24-2005, 02:19 AM.
        DIY Groups Powder-Coating - Metal-Casting - Metal-Chipping - Metal-Polishing - Fiberglas - CNC Tables - GOT LINKS?

Comment

I've read several posts of guys using toaster ovens. If it'll hit 400*F and the part fits it oughta work. SS

Comment

the toaster oven will definately work my small oven is just a larger version of one. it also is convection(has fan inside). i use it for all my small parts and when i shoot color samples for customers. if you can find one that is (i think true of most) dual element(bake and broil) it should do the job fine. also there have been alot of guys that make extensions for there household ovens so they can do occasionally larger parts. most make them from high temp insulation board and make a 4 sided box that rests on the open door and seals to the oven. do a search for pregnant oven and you might find pics.

Comment

OK just read for about 2 hours today (Turkey day), Is a digital thermostat more acurate for you guys>?, I have MANY mechanical ones that could be used.. and my system would be all 220-volt elements from what they called a "BK Industries" chicken rotisserie.. BK means "Barbeque King"

OH yeah.. the other one.. DOES it need a fan to circulate the hot air in a PC oven or are some of you relying on the heat to raise UP from the elements and mounting them near the bottom as (of course) "heat rises"

PS: HAPPY THANKSGIVING GANG!, Glad I found these pages..

Rob

Comment

happy hanksgiving to you also. as for digital thermostats being more accurate i cant say for sure. what you will need is a laser thermometer to accurately check part temp. when talking of pc cure time it is measured when the part temp not air temp reaches the cure temp and then held there for the cure cycle (eg: part at 400 for 20 minutes). most all thermostats i have been around have a small degree of error, just try to find the one that is closest to true temp you can find, that way when you dial in a temp it should repeat it self consistently,but always check with laser thermo. as for fans yes most here try to design in a fan. it will help the effieciency of the oven and help to stop hot spots, thus giving a more even cure of the part.

Comment

Ok. You are my new best friend!! You are actually ammoman? Kind of well known in the gun industry aren't you. Anyways, I'm into guns (shop_rat45 at www.ar15.com ) Love Fieros ( shop_rat45 at Pennock's Fiero Forum) and PC too!!! Wow!! Anyways, welcome!

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by remotestartdepot
                    Ok. You are my new best friend!! You are actually ammoman? Kind of well known in the gun industry aren't you. Anyways, I'm into guns (shop_rat45 at www.ar15.com ) Love Fieros ( shop_rat45 at Pennock's Fiero Forum) and PC too!!! Wow!! Anyways, welcome!

Kris
                    Hey Chris, Nice to e-you.., No im not the ammoman.. just the parts guy on the net.. price changes.. new items etc.., Ammoman is in NJ, I am in NH

I'm berkelusa on ar15 and on pennocks.. damn small world !, But to have the same interests is just plain FREAKY.. lol

Fiero's are like chips.. Cant have just ONE !

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by BerkelUSA
                      Fiero's are like chips.. Cant have just ONE !

Rob
                      Ain't that the truth. I'm currently on number 6 and have 2 of them at this time.

Comment

SIX!?!?!, Sheesh.. I'm looking for #3 and cant find any!!!..

Friend Boomtastic has 8 last I checked.. (miles away), You probably know him from .nl site..

Ended up here because I am going to build a PC oven and re-blast some parts so the poor convertible can go back together with a more durable finish on the suspension parts and other areas.., the water-based paint they used back 20 years ago just didnt hold-up

send your email address to me at [email protected] or post it here

Rob

Comment

Sorry to butt into the oven building stuff but do any of you Fiero guys know V8 Archie? Knew him well and worked with him when he was developing his V8 kit. Lost track of him when he moved from Michigan.
                          HobbyTalk Forums: Diecast Collecting - Model Building - Radio Control Vehicles - Slot Cars - Small Engine Repair

Comment

To have a Fiero and not know him is a SIN.. lol

http://www.V8Archie.com
                            Last edited by BerkelUSA; 12-13-2005, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BerkelUSA
                              Second post.. just found this place sorry.. REALLY interested in PC'ing some parts on any one of my current three projects

31' Chevy TUB hotrod - 86' Fiero convertible and a little toy project a 1980 Yamaha SR250 that I got for free last summer..

Found out about PC after having the chrome rims on the Yamaha (done very cheaply and with great results i might add) and a local place for something like $30 and was amazed how durable it is..

Rims just back from PC

NEW scratch built frame ready for some engine mounts to be made..

Now I'm reading these forums and WANT an oven for my own garage too!

Since I was in foodservice for 15 years things like elements and thermostats are not a hard thing to find and neither is the wiring schematics since I have repaired bakery ovens the same amount of years..

HOW should I get started is a good question..

Rob in NH
                              Rob
                              Maybe you can answer this. How many heating element can be connected to one oven controller?

Comment

Working...
                              X