The Final List of Materials!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final List of Materials!

Okay so I think that I am going to start ordering all the stuff that I need to build my 2'x3'x6' electric oven. Before ordering everything I am going to post it all up here and if you pc'ers could give it a look (I know Mike will, thanks) and give me any feed back that would be great. And there is a McMaster-Carr retail store nearby me so as long as I call ahead by a few hours I can just go and pick it up.

Im getting my insulation, heating elements (going with 4 1500W finned heating strips), and door seals from http://www.mcmaster.com/

part numbers, 3575K561 , 8813K31 , 9328K43

Thermostat, thermocouple, and contactor from Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

I already have all the metal to build it with and the rest of the misc. items will be purchased locally. Any advice would be great I don't want to order all of this and find out it wont work.
    Thanks a ton, Trey

Re: The Final List of Materials!

That control system I don't know much about pretty fancy I would call them and let them know what your doing with it. The only thing I can see from reading it was the temp range you got to get the right one. I'm sure we can get it wired up.

The only thing about those elements that I can see is how to wire them to keep the wires out of the heat unless you get special wire. Like if you look at the bottom of mine those oven elements stick through the metal studs and I insulated them from the heat.

If your going to build it like Gary's The ridge fiberglass stands up by it self and helps with the rigidness of the oven. If you get the wool with the wire thats going to be twice as much $$$.I don't know how thick your metal is.

Talk to ya later I still have to find time to call you I know the way I [email protected]@t we be on the phone for awhile. Will get it done dude.

Comment

I bought two of the 400C controls from him. Worked Great, contactor is good for 40 amps. Easy to wire up, And a great deal for the money.

Comment

alright cool. And a quick side question, how do you know what phase your outlet is?

Comment

I don't know if this is at your house, or a commercial building..??
          How many wires are coming into your service..??
          single phase = 2 hot 1 neutral = 3 total
          three phase = 3 hot 1 neutral = 4 total

Hots should be insulated neutral will be bare.

Comment

if his house is fairly new it could have 4 wires on 220 single phase as well, being 2 hot 1 neutral and a ground.
            when in doubt polish it out/ why replace it when you can refinish it
            G2 Polishing and Powdercoating

Comment

actully the new 220 outlet is newly installed. later on I will look at it and see how many wires there are.

Comment

If who ever installed it told you it was 220 volt it's single phase but none of this really matters if for some reason you have a three phase entrance the voltage will be 208. Ac volts are Ac volts @220 you will draw 27.28 amps or @ 208 you will draw 28.85 amps in your case it dos'nt mater your using the voltage for resistance. I think double pole three phase is 208v then theres always the crazy leg. Don't worry about it either way your good. The higher the volts the less amps. Get the phase thing out of your head dude. It's all good. Now that I read over this it really dos'nt matter. As long as it's a 50amp outlet your good.
                Last edited by mikekozura; 04-03-2006, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Okay I know that I have been gone for a while but I have finally gotten around to ordering everything for my oven. It is gonna be approximitly 2'x3'x6' using Mineral wool for insulation and the thermostat and contactor from ebay for controls. I got four elements at 2400/1800 watts per 240/208V from a site at only $6.71 a piece brand new. I already have the sheet metal and I came up with a really cool way toi construct my oven. You'll have to wait to see that though I am planning on taking pics and making another little up to date diy page on oven building. I already have the elements, thermostat, contactor, misc. wiring, insulation, and door seals ordered and in the mail. Im getting really close now.

And a cool little thing I found on www.mcmaster.com part #8209K17 it is ultra High-temp 14 gauge wire that will withstand up to 842F

Comment

The 14 gauge wire is good for 15 amp thats cool if you wire each element stright to the contactor. Each element is going to draw 10 amps at 2400w at 240v. So get enough wire to make two runs to each element total of eight runs. Unless you get 10 gauge and split the elements two and two. Was I saposed to call you I can't remember I was saposed to call someone if I was I'm sorry e-mail me your number again if it was you.
                    Last edited by mikekozura; 04-18-2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Is the 14-Gauge wire only good for 15 amps? on their website the ultra high temp (which im only using to go from the elements to the outside of the oven) are supposed to be good up to 55 amps. And then I also ordered 50 ft of 14 gauge regular wire that is supposed to be good up to 33 amps. Is there something Im missing? And don't worry about calling me this is working just fine. Thanks, Trey Oh and here are both part numbers for the wires 8209K17 and 7587K465

Comment

Dude unless something has changed since I went to vo-tech in the early 80's (real early HA HA) ok may late 70's. 14awg=15a 12awg=20a 10awg=30a.
                        I looked on the web site and those amp ratings come with this asterick.

* Amp rating is the maximum value for a single conductor at a room temperature of 86? F. Amp rating decreases as temperature increases, or if conductors are bundled together or inserted into conduit.

Like I said If you run 8 wires down your good. That would be easier to hook to the elements if they just have male spade conectors on them. I used 4 #10awg's of regular wire and kept them out of the heat. And wired them two and two.

I always remember what my voc-tech teacher told me " always over wire and under fuse and you'll never have to sleep with your boots on."
                        Last edited by mikekozura; 04-19-2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Ok for sure, I like that saying too.

Comment

I also ordered one of these thermocouples, control units>
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Stan was very easy to deal with and provieds a nice schematic. I can email it to anyone that needs a base reference point for wiring.
                            M & J
                            Mike & Johnny
                            Sho Me Coatings

Comment

Could you please E-mail me those schematics, I got the set-up and am going to start wiring hopefully this weekend. My E-mail is [email protected] Thanks, Trey

Comment

Working...
                              X