Comment

Re: My new oven begins...

Originally posted by chromeitout
        Yay! It's alive!
        More info...how did it work out?
        It ain't your grandma's box!!

Comment

No real info yet, Just that all of the eletronics, selection switches, etc. works. I'll be finishing the door latches and separation walls in the next few days. I'll post back some heat up times hopefully this weekend. I know I'm ready to be finished... I've got 3 '69 Camaro subframes, 2 sets of wheels, and a bike frame waiting on me!

Comment

Appreciate the reply.
            Are you putting a horizontal divider in there?
            Good luck and post a couple of pics of the parts.
            It ain't your grandma's box!!

Comment

Lookin Good Chrome. I think I am in the running with you for time LOL, started mine in Aug or so. Might get my last 2 elements today, hopefully. How many watts you got in there? After trying my oven with 12000 watts, I am beginning to wonder of 17,000 will be enough LOL, Takes a long time to heat up.
              Dan Pesonen
              Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
              Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
              "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

Now, on to sheet metal. After reading several posts about galvanized I believe that venting the fumes outside and doing a long burn-off before curing any parts it should work fine. I checked with a local HVAC place about galvanized 22, 20, and 18 guage galvanized 4 x 8 sheets. The 22 (for the outside) is 27.50/each. The 20 and 18 were both about 44.00/each. I think this is because he keeps 18 in stock, so I'll use 18 for the inside. Do these prices sound about right? I need 7 sheets of 22 and 12 sheets of 18, ($763.73 incl. tax) so if this sounds high please let me know.
                I am in the process of building an oven myself and those prices seems to be a little high. Are you going to HVAC wholesale houses? Those do not sound like wholesale prices to me. I have also tested a little with that backer board and painting it white with heat paint but if you check the price per sqft sheet metal is the only way to go. I am going to use 24 gauge and its about $15.00 a sheet. I know that may be a little thin but I am framing with steel studs on 12" center. The only place it will need to be heavier is on the floor and that won't be an issue untill I decide to expand it.

Comment

One more...
                  Nice work!!!!!!!! I am new to this forum and have been reading alot and watching everyones work and thanks for all the info and pictures. I hope that in the future I can add to and help some one as much as you guys have passed on to myself and others I am sure. I built a small oven that was not the best work but it was functional. I am starting a 4'x4'x8' with the ability to be expanded. I have a few new ideas of my own and will start the build soon. Again thanks for all the info and hope to add some.

Comment

Originally posted by Banditperformance
                    Lookin Good Chrome. I think I am in the running with you for time LOL, started mine in Aug or so. Might get my last 2 elements today, hopefully. How many watts you got in there? After trying my oven with 12000 watts, I am beginning to wonder of 17,000 will be enough LOL, Takes a long time to heat up.
                    I'm running 20,000 watts as it is. I'll have a vertical wall to cut down to 4x4x8 tall, and a horizontal shelf to cut on down to 4x4x4. I'll probably end up running an extra 5000 watt strip element in this 4x4x4 section. I won't be able to run the 5000 watt one when the whole oven is going because I can only handle 100 amps in my sub-panel.

As for the 24 ga. metal... don't do it! Don't get me wrong, it will work, but I'd go thicker. I used 24 on the outside and 22 on the inside, except for the floor. The 22 is decent, but the 24 is too thin IMHO. I wouldn't use it again. If I could buy metal for the prices you're talking about I'd go with 20 ga..

Oh yeah, Bandit... update your build thread I had to look back 4 or 5 pages to find out what size your oven is, LOL.
                    Last edited by chromeitout; 03-01-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

hey chrome,what kind of glass did you end up using for windows and how many panes.can you give a few details and maybe a pic of design....thanks....will

Comment

I use just Tempered glass. Holds up in regular ovens just fine
                        Dan Pesonen
                        Bandit Powder Coat <<From Powder to Perfection>>
                        Forest Grove, BC Canada

Personal motto:
                        "If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"

Comment

a comment on sheet steel prices...i just picked up my material from my uncle who has a welding shop. i'm using 26ga for most of the inside since he had some he got for nothing, so i got it for nothing as well.

i did need a cpl pieces of 20ga for the bottom and and element pans...his cost was $35 per 4x8 sheet. he only charged me his costs. so $44 per sheet retail is probably reasonable. not sure if the price varies from location to location, this is in WNY.

Comment

I didn't use glass. I have 2 removable doors I can open and take temp readings through. Glass would be nice, but you'd still have to actually open a door to get true temp readings.

Comment

Working...
                            X