thermostat question,newly built oven is alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostat question,newly built oven is alive

my preg.oven has the normal range dial thermostat,i started it up today and my bake and broil element that i spliced together never seem to cycle ,even at a lower set temp ,like 175,and i know its atleast that hot,any suggestions

Re: thermostat question,newly built oven is alive

did you wite them in series rather then in parallel?? If you did then the elements would not be getting the full amount of voltage and not getting up to full temp?

Comment

i moved the upper broil element to the new addition,then bought oven wire and ran both wires and spliced wire into the wires going to the bake element,one to the left wire and one to the right, both come on and both get very red just not cycling at the set temp,

Comment

dumb question but did you remember to use the thermocoupler that came with the donor oven and install it in the oven?

just throwin ideas out there

Comment

my oven is a preg.oven and all i did was move the broil element from the main oven out to the metal addition in front and i just unpluged the 2 connecters from the element ,transfered it to the new addition ran new wires to back of oven and spliced it into the baking element

Comment

Hmmmm....rather intriguing....I've never looked at how these thermostats work, but I suspect that the temp. dial is just a rheostat that is in parallel with the thermocouple.....and when the two are equal in resistance a relay is triggered to turn the heating coils off.....you might have a relay problem....was it working before? You could also not have the right air circulation....so the thermocouple is not heating up...

Just noticed that you spliced the broiler element.....that could be the problem....you may have welded the contacts on the relay....so it never turns off....
            Last edited by ViperTX; 05-03-2006, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X