Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp controler pain in butt

hi all
    i have built an oven with inside dimensions of 36in wide x 64in deep x 68in tall i have 4 2600w burners inside. i have had a heating & cooling co confirm the wiring is correct. i purchased the controller from drills12 on e-bay. some people on this forum have also got the same controler. my problem is that i do not get accurate readings from this set up. the controller reads celsius and i have a conversion chart. my problem is that at 95c on controller i am at 390f in the oven when i should be around 200f. i hang grill thermometers in oven with parts as well as check part temp with laser thermometer to verify oven temp so i have a good idea what the inside temp really is. when i first fired this thing up i wanted to run up to 450f so i set the dig controller to
    210c and oh my god it looked like there was an explosion inside the walls warped up horribly. thank god they went back to original shape. found out it got hot enough in there to roast a turkey. i was at 680f. i have sent numerouse e-mails to drills12 and he plays VERRY DUMB. ive come to the conclusion that i am stuck. now i am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if so how was it cured. or if anyone might have any ideas as how to fix this or any suggestions on better more reliable controlls for this set up.
    thank you
    ron

Re: temp controler pain in butt

Originally posted by skooterbum
    hi all
    i have built an oven with inside dimensions of 36in wide x 64in deep x 68in tall i have 4 2600w burners inside. i have had a heating & cooling co confirm the wiring is correct. i purchased the controller from drills12 on e-bay. some people on this forum have also got the same controler. my problem is that i do not get accurate readings from this set up. the controller reads celsius and i have a conversion chart. my problem is that at 95c on controller i am at 390f in the oven when i should be around 200f. i hang grill thermometers in oven with parts as well as check part temp with laser thermometer to verify oven temp so i have a good idea what the inside temp really is. when i first fired this thing up i wanted to run up to 450f so i set the dig controller to
    210c and oh my god it looked like there was an explosion inside the walls warped up horribly. thank god they went back to original shape. found out it got hot enough in there to roast a turkey. i was at 680f. i have sent numerouse e-mails to drills12 and he plays VERRY DUMB. ive come to the conclusion that i am stuck. now i am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if so how was it cured. or if anyone might have any ideas as how to fix this or any suggestions on better more reliable controlls for this set up.
    thank you
    ron

Do you have a wiring diagram of how you wired up your oven ?

Reason i ask is i just finished wiring my oven about a hour ago with the same "ebay" setup from Stan aka "drills12". I wired everything up per his schematic, that he finally emailed me. when i was done and i flipped on the breaker to give the oven power .....poof the temp controller went up in smoke..

thanks , TIM
    http://www.HP-Powdercoatings.com

Comment

tim
      sorry to hear about your controller. i am completely dissatisfied with stan [drills12]. i would not recomend his product or service to anyone. i got very tired of him playing dumb with me. as far as a wiring diagram i will try to post something for you. good luck getting him to warranty or replace his product.
      ron

Comment

Originally posted by skooterbum
        tim
        sorry to hear about your controller. i am completely dissatisfied with stan [drills12]. i would not recomend his product or service to anyone. i got very tired of him playing dumb with me. as far as a wiring diagram i will try to post something for you. good luck getting him to warranty or replace his product.
        ron

THANKS, i have this one he sent me . but doesnt really help..

http://www.HP-Powdercoatings.com

Comment

Hmmm. I guess my question would be, who is running their oven at 120VAC? As far as I know, most guys are runnin 220V. Other than that, the schematic looks correct. However, if the controller is not rated for 90-260VAC (like most are), it will "release the smoke" if connected to 220VAC.

A controller I purchased had a means to tune or calibrate the temperature readings. However, I also have the ability to change from C to F, so maybe this controller doesn't have that.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by blackcamaros
            Hmmm. I guess my question would be, who is running their oven at 120VAC? As far as I know, most guys are runnin 220V. Other than that, the schematic looks correct. However, if the controller is not rated for 90-260VAC (like most are), it will "release the smoke" if connected to 220VAC.

A controller I purchased had a means to tune or calibrate the temperature readings. However, I also have the ability to change from C to F, so maybe this controller doesn't have that.

Just my $0.02.

Which controller are you using?

Comment

I am using the following temperature controller:

http://www.lightobject.com/support/TempController.htm

I purchased it on Ebay a year ago. Below is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Celsius-999C-Dig...QQcmdZViewItem

The main thing is to make sure the temperature controller is set-up for the correct thermocouple. If it is not correct, your readings won't be correct. That sounds like the case with Ron's situation. One way to verify the controller and thermo-couple is to test the stystem for the correct 32F (0C) using an ice slurry, and then 212F (100C) using boiling water. There are formulas to verify at what temperature your water will boil at based on the atmospheric pressure, but that is only needed if you are actually calibrating you system. But, if your water boils and your temperature reading is somewhere around 212F, your thermocouple is probably correct.

Hope this helps.

Joel

Comment

Most of the time the only thing that handles the 220v is the contactor or relay. The controller only needs 110v. I agree that it could be set for the wrong TC wire.

Comment

Working...
                X