Contactor and Thermostat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contactor and Thermostat

Thanks to this board I've got my oven finished up, and enclosed ( 4x4x8 ). All I need to do is wire the leads going to the elements up. This is where I'm confused/concerned. Here are my questions.

Can I use the thermostat out of a normal house oven, and run it into the contactor in the link below and be fine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONEYWELL-R8234B...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm running 3 - 3300 watt elements 220v single phase

If not what will I need, and please include part numbers.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who will shed a little light for me.
    Last edited by itsallgood; 12-26-2006, 04:10 AM.

Re: Contactor and Thermostat

OK here we go you got 3X3300 = 6600*220 = 45 amps. 220 single phase = 2 poles. This is the contactor you need and yes you can use a house oven thermostate with it. It's good for 50 amps res. you only have 45 amps. And it has a 120 volt coil witch you all ready have the power for with your 220v power supply. It's realy not that bad if you need help give me a PM and we can talk on the phone it's a lot easyer. I've gotten a few dudes through it that did't have a clue LOL... Good luck and Merry Christmas

http://www.famousparts.com/c25bnf240aco.html
    http://www.powdercoatoven.4t.com/Index.html

Comment

Is this one the same?
      http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611688127
      Chris
      Suncook River Powder Coating

Comment

I'm also gathering info to build a 4x4x8 oven, can you explain what the "contactor" and the "120 volt coil " is for?

I have 2 complete house ovens and was wondering if it would be easier just to strip them down and just reuse the controls, elements and associated parts as they are currently wired? Meaning I would have to temp controls for the one larger oven.

Comment

ChrisN :
          NO the coil voltage is 24 vac not 120 vac you would need a transformer.

Mtumbleson :
          The contactor is what turns the elements on and off. It's controled by the coil and thermostate. The thermostate is like a light switch in your house it turns the coil on and off witch inturn sents the voltage to the elements.

YES, you have everything you need except the contactor and some wire.

You guys can PM me and maybe we can get together on the phone it's easier.

Good luck and Merry Christmas

Comment

Gotcha,
            http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611744344
            Thanks Chris
            Suncook River Powder Coating

Comment

You got it dude... just run the coil circuit from one side of your 220v oven feed. Run the hot through the thermostat (like a light switch) and then to the coil and run the neutral straight to the coil on the contactor. The thermostat tells the coil when to energize to complete the 220v circuit to the elements and vise versa. I talk to much, later.....

Comment

Originally posted by mikekozura
                Mtumbleson :
                The contactor is what turns the elements on and off. It's controled by the coil and thermostate. The thermostate is like a light switch in your house it turns the coil on and off witch inturn sents the voltage to the elements.

YES, you have everything you need except the contactor and some wire.

Good luck and Merry Christmas
                If my donor ovens are complete and working as they are, why is the contactor necessary? (Sorry, I'm just trying to completly understand it)

Comment

In a house oven your only running one element at a time. You need a contactor that can handle the amps of more than one element running at a time. 3300watt * 220v = 15amp now times that by the number of elements. You know what I meen jelly bean LOL LOL

No need to be sorry dude it's that question thing....

Comment

Originally posted by mikekozura
                    In a house oven your only running one element at a time. You need a contactor that can handle the amps of more than one element running at a time. 3300watt * 220v = 15amp now times that by the number of elements. You know what I meen jelly bean LOL LOL

No need to be sorry dude it's that question thing....
                    Ok, I'm starting to get it.

So, to add on that; would I need a contactor with as many poles as I have elements, or can I double them up?

Comment

Poles and elements have nothing to do with each other. Poles have to do with how many hots you have. 220v single phase = 2 poles 120v volts between each side and neutral.
                      On the load side of the contactor you can fit more than one wire in the lugs and there's also male spade connecters. So I guess the answer to your double question is yes.
                      Now elements are directly related to the amp of the contactor say you have three at 3300 watts at 220 volts your going to draw 45 amps. watts*volts=amps

Poles = power supply / amps = elements*volts

Comment

Thank you so much, you communicate what you know very well, it's a relief from your average response.

Comment

No, thank you very much that was very kind... I thought I just had a lot of bullsh@t. Just glad I can help. Need anything just pm or e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by mtumbleson
                            Ok, I'm starting to get it.

So, to add on that; would I need a contactor with as many poles as I have elements, or can I double them up?
                            Nope, two poles are all that's required. Each pole attaches to an opposite end connection of the elements. You'll have the same number of wires terminated in each pole as you have elements.
                            Gary Brady
                            www.powdercoatoven.4t.com

Comment

Dude, listen to Gary he's the powdercoat oven big dude. If it was'nt for Gary the Binford 5000 may have never been born. LOL LOL My first search ever on the internet last year I typed in powdercoat oven and there it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X