X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kcenicola
    replied
    Re: 220 plug needed

A 60 foot run with a 45 amp load at 240V only results in a 1.1Volt drop in voltage. This is not significant enough to worry about going to a higher gauge of wire. If #6 GA is what is called out for a 240V 50amp breaker, then go with that.

Leave a comment:

• itsallgood
    replied

Well, I'm pulling 45 amps to my oven.
    I went to the hardware store and purchased 6/3 wire.
    I made a run of about 70' and have had no problems, but this has only been for a day. I don't see any problems in the future though.

Just a tip for those of you who are going to be making long runs with large wire.
    Around here 6/3 wire is $1.95 per foot if you buy it only by the foot.
    If your going to make a long run, say over 60' and you have a little extra cash and think you may wire a welder or something else later, buy a roll of it because its about $70.00 cheaper to buy it in a 125' roll.

Leave a comment:

• chromeitout
    replied

6 guage is supposed to be good for 55 amps, but I don't know how to calculate voltage drop over distance.

Leave a comment:

• jeffford15
    replied

Originally posted by nick9882
    i just bought a household oven to use for curing,but i do not have a 220 volt outlet in my garage,any tip on how to put one in?

I made a 220 cord 50ft long.. that I run from my dryer to the shed haha...

$100 for everything

Leave a comment:

• itsallgood
    replied

What gauge of wire did you use to run 50'?
    How many amps are you pulling through it?
    How long has it been working w/o any problems?

I'm going to be running approx. 60' from my breaker box and pulling 45 amps. I'm trying to figure the size of wire I need for a 60' run.

Leave a comment:

• jeffford15
    replied

I made a 220 cord 50ft long.. that I run from my dryer to the shed haha...

$100 for everything

Leave a comment:

• gcastor
    replied

Nick, Do you have a dryer hookup close to your garage? My dryer is in my basement on the garage side of the house. I bought a 6 foot oven cord and wired it to an outlet in my garage. This is what I did when I first got set up. When ever I want to use it, i just unplug the dryer and plug in the oven cord.
    Greg

Leave a comment:

• kcenicola
    replied

Home Depot sells a book called 123 Wiring and it shows you how to run a new 240V recepticle.

This book is only about $15 and it's a great book for the do-it yourselfer who wants to do the job right and to code. I recommend it.

Ken Cenicola
    NHA Supply, LLC

Leave a comment:

• nuttyman
    replied

take the faceplate off your breaker box to see what type breakers you need. if you have available slots your fine. get a 50 amp breaker & run the line to where you need it. I think 8 ga. is code where I live but i'm not positive.

Leave a comment:

• TurboRoadster
    replied

look in the attic, it may have a box and breaker for the electric furnace. thats where I tapped mine, its a 70 amp feed.

or no dryer connection to plug into?

Leave a comment:

• nick9882
    started a topic 220 plug needed

220 plug needed

i just bought a household oven to use for curing,but i do not have a 220 volt outlet in my garage,any tip on how to put one in?
Working...
X