Oven Glass Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Glass Question

I have inquired around about glass for and oven door or that type of glass and have gotten several answers. But anyway my question is this - Given there is two panes of glass in an oven door - Does the glass have only the inside glass for high temp and not the outside glass or does both need to be high temp glass?

With that question asked, I will say this. I am on disability and try to keep a tight grip on my funds. But with building an oven, I don't want to cut corners, but won't spend unless I need too. The glass isn't cheap and the scrape yards around here won't even think about letting me rummage through their pile of ovens to get the glass or the door.

Thanks for the help.
    Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Re: Oven Glass Question

Actually the ovens I have taken apart have 3 pieces of glass. I don't know but I would guess that all of them are tempered, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Great idea....I'm curious as to what glass and seal you would use around it for hi temps. I am thinking of incorporating a window/door to open and check temps and to see the coating bake as well!

Comment

I framed the opening in my door about 1/2" larger the the glass frame. Then to mount the frame/glass I just used high-temp gasket maker to glue it in place.

For the third panel I machined a frame that screws to the face of the door (6061 aluminum), then the glass is attached with high-temp gasket maker.

Comment

Originally posted by mtumbleson
          I framed the opening in my door about 1/2" larger the the glass frame. Then to mount the frame/glass I just used high-temp gasket maker to glue it in place.

For the third panel I machined a frame that screws to the face of the door (6061 aluminum), then the glass is attached with high-temp gasket maker.
          Great idea...I'm gonna frame a door out and do exactly as you said...but add hinges to mine, a fiberglas seal, and a latching mechanism to hold it flat against the fiberglas seal.

Comment

we (partner & I) run a metal fab business & do lots of windows. make a frame for 1 side that is welded to the main frame, then sandwich the glass between another frame (same dimensions as the welded) that will be screwed in & as stated use high temp. silicone to provide a seal.
            SouthWest Powderworx
            Tyler Nutter
            www.swpowder.com
            myspace/swpowder
            [email protected]
            sigpic

Comment

The reason I was wanting to know about glass is that most if not all powder states after it flows out etc. How else would I know if it flowed out. That was my thinking. Plus I'm adding lights in the doors so I can see it flow out. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

if you can't easily see the part just tack on an extra 5 mins. cure time. flow-out usually occurs around 5 mins after you place the part in the oven, from room temp. that is. however i recommend pre-baking parts before shooting to outgass so the part will be slightly warmer when you apply the powder.
                SouthWest Powderworx
                Tyler Nutter
                www.swpowder.com
                myspace/swpowder
                [email protected]
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks. I'm getting ready to do a cast iron three duce intake for a guy. Have baked it for around 2 hours to burn of all oils, gas etc. Don't want no out gasing. Be good for advertising. He does a lot of car shows and takes many trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by JTW37
                    Thanks. I'm getting ready to do a cast iron three duce intake for a guy. Have baked it for around 2 hours to burn of all oils, gas etc. Don't want no out gasing. Be good for advertising. He does a lot of car shows and takes many trophies.
                    Post up pics when you get it done! Most intakes aren't too bad on outgassing...but its better to be safe than sorry. I shoot mine fairly warm to prevent Faraday Caging in corners. Good luck!

Comment

Post up pics when you get it done! Most intakes aren't too bad on outgassing...but its better to be safe than sorry. I shoot mine fairly warm to prevent Faraday Caging in corners. Good luck!

Comment

This is kind of off subject from my original post, but when I baked the intake, it smoked pretty good and smelled of engine oil and the like. So, I think it a real good idea to do that. It stunk the shop up pretty good. I will post pictures as soon as I get it done. Plan to do that sometime between today and Sunday. Still working hard on my Oven. Will add pictures as I continue with it.

Comment

This is kind of off subject from my original post, but when I baked the intake, it smoked pretty good and smelled of engine oil and the like. So, I think it a real good idea to do that. It stunk the shop up pretty good. I will post pictures as soon as I get it done. Plan to do that sometime between today and Sunday. Still working hard on my Oven. Will add pictures as I continue with it.
                          Yeh usually I bake mine til the smoking is gone and YES it does stink up the shop and left a residue in my old oven.

Comment

Working...
                          X