building a curing oven ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a curing oven ?

question on air movement in pc oven. iam building a 4x4x6 oven ,3 x 3000 elements, i purchased a blower from granger a (4mh 324),ceiling mount in corner, my question, would another fan in the opposite corner be overkill, can you have to much air movement ,even after the curing process has started.
    also i have notice some oven builds lately aren't adding windows. i had planned on putting in a window with a hinge to check flow out and pc temps., needed or not needed.what type of glass is best ( pyro ceram) or tempered glass, best place to buy, man a lot of questions for a new guy. thanks jack

Re: building a curing oven ?

Hey Jack, I didn't put a window in mine, but I wish I had. I'm tired of opening the door to measure the part temp. I want to add one, so I'm interested in the type of glass to use also. I think if you put one in you'll be glad you did.

I have a 4w x 3h x 2d oven with no fan, the elements are in the bottom and have shields to prevent direct IR heating of the parts. I have two oven thermometers near the top and bottom and they are always within about 5 degrees of each other, so I think one fan is probably more than enough.
    Steve Dold
    http://stevedold.com

Comment

I didn't put an actual window in my oven, but I did install a pull out 5X7 box so I can shoot the IR thermometer into the oven. I might change it to include a glass window, but I probably won't use a hinge.

Comment

Hey guy's, I've been putting windows in all my ovens. I found a local appliance parts warehouse and asked him for out of date house oven glass. I modify them to fit my 4" doors and they work great. He only charges me $15.00 each for them.

Comment

That was a good find. Everywhere I went they wanted an arm and a leg. I picked three Kitchen oven as I have been building 2 ovens and used the glass from them. Mine are fixed permanent, but I also have a temp reading door to check temps. Glad I put both in my ovens.

As for the fan, two would certainly be to many. I've seen a formula as follows for fan CFM. WxDxH/2 ( 3'x3'x6'/2=27 cfm). You just need to move the air to try to eliminate cold spots in the oven, but not move it to fast.
          Last edited by JTW37; 03-16-2008, 07:35 AM.
          Who says you can't teach an ole dog new tricks?

Comment

I got my window glass from the local salvage yard. Last year, they were crushing everything as fast as it came in and got hard to grab a door off an old oven. I finally got one and I think it cost all of $0.75 or there abouts. I pay 15 cents a pound for scrap and picked up a bunch of stuff that day so the cost is a guess. (Might even have been less.)

I've found some great treasures there. If you recognize the equipment, some mighty fine parts are there for the taking. Magnetic switches, relays and mercury switches were plentiful for a while. I even got my 4-ton Whitney-Jensen punch press there. Back then I was paying $0.10/lb. so the punch was about $12.

The point is, don't discount used material.

Comment

i am finally starting to build my oven door for my 4x4x6 oven. i got a kitchen oven window from the appliance store today for free.question ,
              what glass pieces are being used, is the outer oven glass being used or just the two remaining pieces, are you cutting down the original window frame work or making a new one. is this glass easy to work with or is it bridle.thanks in advance for your replies, i got to get back to work. thanks again jack
              Last edited by roadsterdude; 03-26-2008, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Heres a pic of the oven glass installed in my oven door, there are 2 pcs in a frame and a single pc. on the outside, just leave a little room for expansion and use your imagination and fab. a opening to fit what you have. I'm pretty sure that the glass is tempered so you will not be able to cut the actual glass down, in other words you got to work with what you got. Fred
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice job Fred. I need to add a window some day. I'll keep a lookout for a donor oven.

Does the thermometer below to window have a probe that goes thru the door? Do you recall where you got it. I like that idea.

Comment

I'm not Fred, but I got my Thermometer at K-Mart. It's one of those Turkey cooker thermometer's that they stick through the lid to read the oil temp. Works pretty good. I have three thermometers in mine plus the PID. They are a little off from each other, but are close.

As for the oven door glass. If you go to a glass shop to get the tempered glass, it will cost you plenty. Try to find an oven and just take that one an use it. It's a whole lot less expensive.

Comment

thanks fred for the pic and info, ed, saw a therometer like the one fred showed at Ace Hardware. thanks guys for your time and advice. jack

Comment

Ed, the Stem Thermometer came from McMaster, they are a little spendie for what ya get. If I were to do it over I would use a electronic temp indication and place the prob in the circulating duct work as a back up to the PID indication. Fred

Comment

I also use an electronic thermometer and it pretty much stay with my PID. Check it out here: $16.00 http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...rd=thermometer

Comment

Nice find John.
                            How long is the lead on the probe??
                            I'll have to run over to kmart and see if they stock them instore.
                            Ray
                            It ain't your grandma's box!!

Comment

They do carry in the store.
                              Without looking at it, I would say the probe lead is minimum 36 inches. I put a hole in the side of my oven (for a different therm.) and when I got this one, I stuck it to the front of the oven and the probe is in the side.

I bought another one for the new oven (which isn't quite done) and tried placing it on an item in the oven, to see what the part temp was and it worked pretty good. Temp alarm, timer and I stick it through my temp taking door 8"x8" and close it and leave it in till it's done. Just like a Turkey.

Comment

Working...
                              X