How big are my elements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big are my elements

Hey Guys,I am updating my oven with some new parts. Could someone tell me how many watts my elements are so I can buy a SSR big enough to handle it. I have 4 elements 2 are from the bake cycle and 2 are from the broil cycle. Any help would be great.

Re: How big are my elements

I can't see your element so I can't tell how "Big" they might be. But, if you want to calculate the ampere draw you'll need a VOM that can measure ohms. It's a good idea to check all your heater coils, even new ones. I ran across one that was supposed to be a 2400W but ohmed out to a 3000W. It's the example I used below. (Amperes x Volts = Watts) I'm now wondering is this could be the problem some folks are having with SSR going through a meltdown. Could be so I would check all heaters to make sure they are what you expect.

Volts
    ----- = Amperes
    Ohms

Example:

240V
    ----- = 12.37A
    19.4Ω

Comment

Good observation CarWiz. I think that is good advice to check all elements for resistance before installing. I'm going to check mine!

Comment

Heres somthing that I ran into that was kinda interesting. I purchased a SSR that was claimed to be a 30 amp,2 pole device. Looking at the Diagrams and info supplied with this device and what I found on the mfg.s website the SSR was rated at 15 amps on each pole. hence 30 amps. I found this kinda misleading, is this a common way of rating SSR's ? I went ahead and utilized the device by switching only one side of the elements on each pole and the other side of the elements connected directly to the power souce downstream of a disconnect switch. Fred
        Last edited by PhredAre; 04-21-2008, 02:00 PM.

Comment

That's a good question. I've only seen ratings based on pole load capability. It seems the maker of your SSR is stretching the specs for marketing benefits.

Comment

Working...
          X