Oven Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Metal

What guage metal should be used when building an oven?

Use 18 gauge or thinner 16 or thicker would be far to heavy and will absorb massive amounts of energy to heat it.Remember as the thickness goes down the gauge number goes up(16 gauge is thicker than 20 gauge)

Comment

Re: Oven Metal

i'm using 1/8th inch thick sheet metal to build my oven, does that sound way too thick? couldn't really complain on it, since i got it for free

Comment

I used Galv. 24ga 3x8 sheets $17.00 each. Except on the bottom I used the old shelves from the cabinet there a little thicker like 18 or 20 gauge. Works fine
        Attached Files

Comment

Mike, where did you get the sheetmetal?

Comment

I got it local at a Commercial hvac supply house in Belle Vernon PA Beacon Supply Company.

Comment

Cool thanks!

Comment

I used 20 - 22 ga galvanized. Figured where there is heat, there is moisture. The galv should help deter any potential rusting on the inside.

Comment

I've read (not only in this forum) that heating galvanized metal might be a bad idea, but no one's been specific on what temperature would be "safe". I know that welding gal. puts off dangerous fumes but that would be extremely hot, way more than 500 degrees. Any thoughts on this because I am also wanting to use gal. if it will not be a health hazard or cause contamination problems with my parts below 500-600 degrees.

Comment

Our oven is sheathed inside and out with 20 gauge galvanized, no problems or toxic fumes. I did a burn off at 400 for an hour to make sure, works great for us. The main thing is the air circulation for hot/cold spots. Other then that galvanized is fine, alot of larger ovens are built using the same material.

Ed

Comment

What would you guys say that the minimum interior sheet metal thickness should be? 26g as thin as someone should go? Or shouldn't it be that thin.

Comment

I wouldn't go any thinner than 22ga

Comment

Working...
                        X