X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dperk
    replied
    Another project for someone...

I also have another Suzuki that I am going to get from the same person My Nephew) I purchased my VS 700 from. I don't know that much about it, except he was going to do the same thing to this bike, as he was going to do to the bike I bought. Since I purchased the VS 700 from him, he was going to take this other Suzuki, and pull the engine, and make a go-cart out of it. He says the only thing wrong with it, is that the owner before him used "brake fluid" for clutch lubricant, which of course burned up the clutch. I don't doubt him, that it does run good.

I haven't looked at it too good, and he has pulled some parts (exhaust pipes, and some othe misc. items), but I believe all the parts are there to put it back together. Also, don't quote me, but I think it is a 650. I'm not sure of the year, but the overall condition looks to be better than fair. The color is green, and it is a tripple cylinder.

I talked him into selling it to me before he had a chance to get it torn completely apart. Plus, when he started taking off pieces he ran out of gas, which means he didn't get too many parts taken off, before I convinced him to sell it to me. He says he has the title to it (I haven't seen it), but I do believe he has it.

Is anyone looking for a project like this? If so, I'm going to go get it, and bring it home, so I'll know what it's going to take to put it back together. Then if anyone is interested, I'll be able to give you some detailed information, plus some pics of the bike.

I live in Kansas, if this helps (or not) with your decision,

Don

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied
    Originally posted by fly
    PICKLEBOY!!!!!!!!! you wouldn't happen to know of a basket case (shovel, pan, or KNUCKLE) just laying around, I am looking for another project.
    hey fly i will check in to one i know of and see if he still has it. it is a basket but complete 64 pan/shovel fl. i will let you know.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by fly

PICKLEBOY!!!!!!!!! you wouldn't happen to know of a basket case (shovel, pan, or KNUCKLE) just laying around, I am looking for another project.
    Hmm !!!!!! Another project.. I got more than i can handle ...

Leave a comment:

• fly
    replied
    Don,

The offer still stands by me, I just need the pipes so I can get the bends exactly the way they need to be. The sheilds will cover just the couplen and blend into the larger section of the pipe. Unless you have a idea of your own, besides it is your bike, and I am offering my help to get you what you like for you new bike.

Leave a comment:

• dperk
    replied
    One other item...

The person that's painting my bike does not have a digital camera, so no pics from him.

I usually go to the town where my bike is located every few weeks. I'll take my camera with me, and I'll get some good pics to post.

Don

Leave a comment:

• dperk
    replied
    Thanks for all the good responses...

I've been out of town for a few days due to a funeral in the family. But, anyway. I have a search on ebay for exhaust pipes for my bike. I did see the ad on there about parts to fit my bike, and yes I did inquire about exhaust pipes-no luck!

Also whenever I see someone selling engine parts that will fit my bike, I ask if the exhaust pipes are available.

I am still interested in knowing what kind of heat shield can be built to cover up the inferior problem I am having. If anyone can build me something that I can bolt/mount on without too much difficulty, I am interested.

Thanks to all that have responded,

Don

Leave a comment:

• fly
    replied
    If you want to call me so we can get exactly what you need you can at (601)549-6914. Leave message if no answer. I looked on ebay at a suzuki vs700 to get a idea and I think I can help you out, you might want to check the bike out it was going for parts, just punch in suzuki vs700.

Leave a comment:

• dperk
    replied
    I got a dose of education...

I always thought the bluing effect was just caused by heat over time. Thanks for the info. I have never even "fired" the bike since I purchased it a few weeks ago. The previous owner told me (yeah, I can trust him), that it doesn't run too good idling, and in the mid-range. But once it's opened up, it runs strong.

This might be the problem (or part of it) you just described. He put larger pipes on it, but didn't change the jets to compensate for the better breathing of the bigger pipes. I am planning on a tune-up right after the paint job is done. I have a problem: I don't like anything that isn't perfect. This is why I never even started it up. I want everything done right, before I ever ride it for the first time.

About the exhaust shield. Could you describe what kind of a shield you could design, and make it look good?

Hey, thanks for all the info, Don

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Don.. if you can email me a pic or a link to a pic for you bike

Leave a comment:

• fly
    replied
    Sence we have a little test and tune going, the blue is from the carb. , when the new pipes were installed it probably let more air flow than the stock pipes, that causes lean mixture and causes more heat from the cylinder to give you that pretty blue look on the pipe. Check your plugs, install new plugs and check them after a ride or if the old plugs or white or light brown then it is too lean, you need to go up on your main jet. The look you are looking for is a coffee brown on the plugs. I not only chrome bikes I work on them, and build them also. My favorite is the shovel, or pan head (HarleyD.).

Leave a comment:

• pickleboy
    replied
    dperk: also keep in mind what fly said about blue coming back. that is a condition of tuning. it is because the carbs are not exactly right. you see it on harleys all the time due to the fact that most harley owners replace the factory cv carb with a s&s that has no midrange jet. so they get rich low end and lean high end, hence the blueing. just some food for thought. that is also why most harley factory and aftermarket pipes use heat sheilds, its more to hide the blue than to protect the rider. just my 2 cents(that all the sense i have)

Leave a comment:

• fly
    replied
    I would only do the new section, due to contamination of the tanks, and I could polish the blue, but it will come back in time.
    My shop is in mississippi so think of the shipping and the time frame that I have to do the job. Think of the heat shield idea it might be the best plan for you if you don't like the blue area, I could feather it into the larger section making the transition of the smaller to larger pipe less noticable, and no more blue in that area. It is your pipes and you are the customer so what every you decide I will do.

Leave a comment:

• dperk
    replied
    If you did the same thing for a Vulcan...

You have my problem pretty much solved. I just want the pipes to look like they were made for the bike. I don't like the smaller pieces looking so obvious, and of course, I don't like the rust area either. If you can repair the problem, would the "whole" pipe have to be re-chromed, or just the small piece that is replaced?

The reason I'm asking is: Where the bend in the pipes are (coming down from the exhaust ports), the pipes are very blued. Can this problem be fixed too?

Once again-Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• dperk
    replied
    By the way...

Yes I would have no problem maling them to your destination.

Once again-Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• dperk
    replied
    Yeah, I'll see if I can get you some pics.

As I said in one of my posts, my Nephew is in the process of painting the bike now. I don't know if he has a digital camera, but if he does, I'll post the pics, so you can see what I'm talking about.

You are correct, and I'm glad you understood my explanation I gave regarding my problem. That's right, he welded in the small pieces so they would match the exhaust ports.

Thanks, Don

Leave a comment:

Working...
X